12th Youth Song and Dance Celebrations is Here I`ll stay.The celebrations take place 30.06-2.07.
What is Youth Song Celebration
The tradition of Song Celebrations dates back to 1869, however the first Youth Song and Dance Celebration took place in 1962 in Tallinn. With few exceptions the number of singers has been growing gradually, reaching 30 000 singers in 2014. The Youth Celebrations are special because more young composers, conductors, singers and dancers get a chance to show new artistic developments.
Singing is a way to breathe together.
What is Youth Dance Celebration
The tradition of Song Celebrations dates back to 1869, however the first Youth Song and Dance Celebration took place in 1962 in Tallinn. With few exceptions the number of dancer has been growing gradually, reaching 8500 dancers in 2014. The preparation of the dances starts years before and the selection process for accepted groups happens few months before. Dancers from all over Estonia come to Tallinn weeks before to put together a performance that will be carried out three identical times.
The choreographs create dances for each dance group- children, women, men, couples and grannies.
Ten reasons to visit the Celebrations:
- The Youth Song and Dance Celebrations only take place every five years.
- The theme of the 12th Youth Song and Dance Celebrations is Here I`ll stay.
- Meet 40000 dancers and singers at a time.
- Five kilometers of procession.
- The stage can fit up to 20000 singers and the whole area of the grounds can hold 120 000 people.
- UNESCO World Heritage Event.
- The unforgettable Estonian National Clothes.
- Tradition dating back 1896.
- Best time to visit Estonia.
- Summer, sun, beautiful songs, interesting dancers, friendly spectators, fantastic view on the sea- what a great way to experience the most important cultural event of Estonia.
The tickets are on sale. You can buy them online here (click on below banner):
The Dance Celebration takes place in Kalevi stadium and can hold up to 11 000 spectators. The Dance Celebrations holds three performances. Dance Celebration places are seated, the higher seats offer a better view on the dancers and their movements.
The Song Celebration takes place in a large venue and is divided between seated and non seated tickets. The seated places are close to the stage and all the rest is free space, where you can sit or stand wherever you wish.
The Procession does not require a ticket, just find a spot on the five kilometer stretch from city center to the Festival Grounds.
The ticket prices vary from 4-25 euros, depending on the places.
Contact us for more local tips and come sing and dance with us in June!
Book your private Tallinn tour here:
Follow Estonian Experience on Facebook